Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 28 July 2014

Definite Door To Another Dimension


A friend made me a compilation tape once following a long, rambling alcohol fueled conversation about punk. No purist, he claimed punk was where you find it. The song that grabbed me on that tape that I didn't know was this one by The Posies. It's what journalists call power pop, a genre that they invented to describe guitar music that was punk-ish but also poppy. Power pop is easier to identify than it is to describe. The Knack's My Sharona is an example. This song by The Posies is vastly better than My Sharona (which is a bit annoying). Loopy, hippy lyrics, massive crunchy power chords, quiet/loud dynamics and some ace melodies that transcend 1993's grunginess.

Definite Door

4 comments:

george said...

My Sharona is not a bit annoying it's BLOODY annoying.

Walter said...

Hi Adam, my defeniton of power pop is: it distinguishes itself by short „3 1/2 minutes of pop songs“, easy arrangements, strong melodies and striking riffs. It spreads it's wings over from the early works of The Who to the fantastic songs of The Buzzcocks. I thing it'l be worth to start a new series about this kinda music. Maybe name it 'What happened to Power Pop?'.
Cheers, Walter

C said...

I didn't remember this by name/title and then I played it and wow, it all came flooding back. Do you remember them performing this great song on The Word? They reminded me of other bands that turned up on there around that time, like the Senseless Things. Some great music.

I hated My Sharona! But I love the power pop of the Nerves and the Plimsouls.

Swiss Adam said...

I don't think I saw them on the Word, I don't remember it anyway, but may go see if it's on Youtube.